Friday, August 31, 2012

New Orleans, LA - Hotel Monteleone Alley (sketch)

This is the backside of the Hotel Monteleone in the French Quarter; their red-lettered roof sign is visible from I-10 if you happen to be driving through.  I did this to practice that rough sketch look again, but THIS time I did the initial sketch in pencil then overlaid with pen and marker color . . . turned out much better!

Also, I went back to Jackson Square a little later and ran into the ink artist I mentioned in an earlier post who was doing this type of sketch work and I got his info--nice guy.  I'm going to try for this cleaner look that he does since I can certainly see the skill and attention to detail in his sketches, but I'm not entirely sure I want to go that route all the time . . . I LIKE the messy look, both for what it is and because I can clean it up to be either more realistic or stylized.  Also, I heard two people say "It's really tight and on the fly," and "I really like that style," about my work as they were looking over my shoulder.  So.

I'll figure it all out eventually.





No comments:

Post a Comment