Wednesday, September 5, 2012

New Orleans, LA - City Icons (illustration)

I bopped around the French Quarter during my entire stay in NOLA, which is right on the Mississippi River. No complaints from me, even with the hurricane!

From left to right: homage to the city's French history and Mardis Gras (beads were like ornaments in everything from railings to tree limbs), the Crescent City Connection (twin cantilever bridges), painters set up around Jackson Square, the green and white-striped canvas roof of Cafe du Monde, the statue of General Jackson in the Square, the famous Natchez steam sternwheeler and it's calliope pipes and double stacks, and the Saint Louis Cathedral.

I was lucky enough to catch the calliope in action one afternoon and the happy jazz tunes puffing out of the steamer added a little pep to my pedaling.  I actually knew the words to one of them (thanks to a few years living with grandparents), and joined in with a few sidewalk musicians who bongoed or tapped in rhythm.  The Quarter along the river front became one of my favourite spots in America.




No comments:

Post a Comment