Sunday, September 9, 2012

Roseburg, OR - High Contrast View (illustration)

This was the third piece I worked on during the plein air event, and was really just something I did for fun and not for competition.  The intent of a plein air painting is to capture the correct tone, value, and contrast in light and shadow of a subject under natural (ever-changing) light conditions.  By the time I was looking for my third subject, I was hot, sweaty, getting tired, and really just wanting to do something fun.

The color-blocking appealed to a lot of people at the show though it doesn't follow the intent of plein air per se.  One person suggested I take this image (or the style, at least) and apply this to decorative tiles like what might be seen on a back-splash.  It's something I never thought of (but I like it!), so I'll mull the tile idea over and run some numbers once I'm back home.  Decorative tiling by Pencilated . . . has a nice ring to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment