Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sept 16 - Albuquerque, NM

This morning I woke up in my hotel on a bluff overlooking Albuquerque to see about 10 hot air balloons flying over the city--practice runs for next months Balloon Fiesta.  Of course my camera was in the car and by the time I got downstairs they'd either descended or were too far away to capture.  At some point I'm going to learn to keep my camera with me at all times!

Today was a busy day as far as the travel schedule goes: drive up to Santa Fe, drive over to Las Vegas (New Mexico) to have lunch with a new friend, then drive about 7 hours to Oklahoma City (I only made it to Amarillo, TX).  By my calculations that gave me about an hour in Albuquerque, which ruled out the tourist trolley for all things Breaking Bad.  Luckily the Petroglyph National Monument is on the west side of the city so I hot-footed it over there for one of the smaller trails.

The combination of sun angle and stone color can make the images a little elusive; the Pueblo elders believe the petroglyphs choose when and to whom to reveal themselves to.  I'd timed it just right to see The Flute Player, which a lot of folks miss by showing up later in the day.  No fancy photos, just something to share from the trip.

Click the photo to see some of the petroglyphs and other sites from one of the park's trails:



No comments:

Post a Comment