Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sept 6 - Roseburg, OR (the plein air event)

So, so tired!

Today was a whirlwind of activity starting at about 7am and going right up until now (1030pm).  The weather was beautiful, the farm I worked on was beautiful, downtown was beautiful . . . the margaritas and designer cupcakes I ate with dinner were beautiful.

I did a total of four pieces today--I had to have them stamped, framed, and delivered to the art center within one hour of completion, so I don't have any scans of them to post.  Tomorrow I'll have photos of them from the display, though, so keep an eye out for those.

I didn't know what I was going to do when I started the competition this morning, so I did whatever felt right for the subject. The shed and tree at the entrance to the farm became a nice, calm ink illustration; the rough and tumble cornflowers against the aged truck became a roughed-in drawing in ink stick I applied with my fingers; the blowzy over-blown red begonias against the blue mountain ridge became a cartoon-like illustration; and the energy of the downtown street scene became that rough ink sketch style with a color wash I liked so much back in Nashville.  I'll redo a version of these once I get back home, too.

Anyway, enough of that--no sense talking about them if I can't share pictures of the art right now.  What I'm trying so unelegantly and unsuccinctly to say is that it was a busy day, I did some good stuff, I got a few pictures, I ate, I laughed . . . and I am exhausted!  Tomorrow we have a morning full of demos and more painting (non-competitive), and then at 5pm they announce the winners and open the display to the artists and the public.  The top forty pictures are displayed in the main hall of the arts center, and I'm hoping I get at least one picture chosen for that.  (Secretly, of course, I'm hoping I win the top prize cash pot, but I'll be really happy if someone buys something!  Heh.)

Okay, I'm falling asleep while I sit here, so without further ado I present to you a small selection of the photos I managed to take today while I wasn't scribbling away on paper.  Enjoy . . . and wish me luck for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment