Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sept 12 - Commentary from the Road

The illustration markers have been fun to use, but I have to keep reminding myself that I only just used them for the first time a few months ago and that it's going to take time to master them, just like any other material.  My mind keeps wanting to layer them like I do with the colored pencils, or use them like watercolor washes, but they aren't either one of those things and I get a little frustrated with the limitations.  There is no creating the correct medium tones or values, it's simply hue and tint application.  Period.

They're almost boring, even.  Almost.

BUT I give them major props for portability, which is why I bought them in the first place, so I just have to suck it up and learn to play with them within their capacities.

I'm looking forward to being home again, in my own studio with access to all my supplies (not just what I can carry through security in a tote bag).  So many of the photos I've taken--many of which haven't been added to the public photo albums shared on this blog--are reserved for color pencil work once I'm home, and I even have some reserved for painting or other media!  The markers are fun, but I'm antsy to get back to my pencils and a better quality of work.

And three and a half weeks on the road is starting to wear; I feel a little frayed around the edges.  I'm a little tired, a little homesick, a little ready to get back to the regular hum-drum of house projects, part-time jobs, grumbling at having to do chores, and looking forward to dinners with my urban family.  (Note: I am NOT ready to deal with mowing the yard again, however.  If it were just about the yard I'd stay away until it was buried under 6" of snow.)

Wanted: Someone to mow and weed my lawn every two weeks in exchange for amateur art.  Will negotiate with velvet Elvises (Elvi?) upon request.




No comments:

Post a Comment