Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sept 13 - Bonneville Speedway and Salt Lake, UT

I went out today to see what photos I could get of some of the surrounding areas to the west of the city and maybe work on some sketches if anything jumped out at me.  The air was so incredibly hazy, though, it really wasn't a good "picture day."  Places that were well within walking distance appeared shrouded in mist or fog; there was no horizon line on the lake and sailboats appeared to be floating.  It was weird.

The Bonneville Speedway salt flats were amazing, though, even with crappy photos that don't do it justice.  The flats were a bit soggy so I didn't risk taking my brother's car out to one of the tracks to blow the cobwebs off the engine (that weren't blown off at 90mph getting there), though there was a group of folks who drove out for something as evidenced by the trailer of wood and metal they were hauling.  It was probably a good idea to stay back: I passed a camper that tried to drive out and ended up sunk in the salt up to its running boards.  I could see some of the pathway cones further out, but no obvious activity happening.

And you'd think whatever pools of water were out on the flats would be hot in the mid-day sun, but the water was cooler than ambient temperature (mid 70s). . . the dregs of memory left over from my chem lab days explained it all to me once I actually took a few seconds to think about it.

I managed to get some decent photos, but nothing that really stood out for me.  Nearly all of the salt flat pix had to be tweaked to get anything off in the distance to show up.  As usual, click the photo to see the entire album:


No comments:

Post a Comment