Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sept 17 - Oklahoma!

When I first thought about driving through Oklahoma, I thought it was going to be a long, boring drive filled with wide open spaces full of corn, cows, or (possibly) horses . . . and that would be all.  After I stopped at an information center, though, I realized I owe a huge apology to the entire state for wallowing in my ignorance.  I'm embarrassed.

Sadly, however, I didn't have time to explore or hit some of the highlights as I was blasting through the Sooner state; I was starting in Texas and hoping to magically appear in east Missouri before I stopped for the day.  I would've missed:


  • The only existing skyscraper designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Carlsbad Caverns and Blue Hole
  • 39 tribal nations throughout the state and all the heritage, history, culture, and exhibitions that entails


I did manage to make a quick stop at the OK History Center in OK City to catch some of the tribal displays--mostly Sac and Fox, Awapaho, Choctaw, Osage, and Otoe.  I got some great patterns to compliment what I'd seen by the Pueblo back in New Mexico that I want to use on some fabric pieces, as well as some cut-work that will work for a quilted piece I had in mind for a wall hanging.  I was also inspired to do a little more investigation into my family history to see if I could find the tribe in my family tree--its one of the northern US or Canadian tribes, which is all my grandmother knew herself.

The history center also had a gallery display by artist Woody Crumbo; he worked in silk screen, watercolor, and oil to name a few of the medium types he used.  I really loved his style of applying patterns and color work into the animals, and also how he used watercolor more like opaque paint rather than the typical transparent layers; I somehow manage to mix watercolor like syrup (to the horror of every water-colorist I've taken a class with) so it was good to see someone else actually employing that on a finished piece--might have to try it again back home.

No flash photography was allowed, of course, but I did manage a few quick pictures of Crumbo's work for my reference files:









No comments:

Post a Comment