Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Park City, UT - The Corner Lamppost (sketch)

While I was in Park City today I decided to work a bit more on that blocky sketch drawing similar to the butterflies of Knoxville.  This one turned out okay, but I know I need more practice at it.

Working with the limited color palette of the markers throws me off as well, as evidenced by the blue spruce that looks like Cruella deVille had a hand in color selection.  I should have used the muted blue colors I have and green tones be damned!  For some reason I continue to think that pale jade green marker (the one that looks almost white in the picture) is darker than what it actually is, even though I have a color key for the markers sitting right next to me.  One of life's mysteries.

I digress.

So. What am I trying to do?  Basically I'm throwing down blocks of color without any other lines what-so-ever to guide placement or proportion.  Then I overlay with india ink pen to create the sketch details.  It almost reminds me of those comic strips where the color blocking is offset from the lines.  There's potential in this style, I think, I just need to keep working at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment