Sunday, September 9, 2012

Roseburg, OR - Hint of Fall (illustration)

Apologies for the picture-of-a-picture here (and in the next few posts); these had to be framed on site and dropped off for display within an hour of finishing them so I wasn't able to scan them as I've been doing with the other illustrations I've done on this trip.

This was my first sketch of the day for the plein air competition and although I've received some compliments for it, this was actually a flub for the day in my book.  I fell prey to the classic competition faux pas of second-guessing what I wanted to do and reigned it in to what I thought they (the juror, really) would want to see.  What I got was a sketch that didn't accomplish anything except disappointment in myself.  I wanted to do this in the ink wash and scribbley-pen overlay like I did with the butterflies or the Tin Roof sketches from Knoxville, and that's what I should have done!  I'll redo this when I get back home to the studio.

But, hey, if you really like this version, you can buy it for $150 (framed!) from the Umpqua Valley Arts Center in Roseburg, OR.

I'll work on my salesmanship in the meantime . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment