Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sept 21 - Parkersburg, WV

Apologies for the gap between Dayton and this last post "from the road". . . I meant to get these up the day after I got home, but strangely, I found myself sucked into the daily routine as if I'd never left (except for unpacking).  Three days later I remembered I had to do this or bust.

Parkersburg WV reached its peak sometime around the turn of the twentieth century, with industry booming and Victorian mansions springing up on every block.  Much of the city has hit a decline since then, and it hasn't found footing in the arts and tourism boom like it's sister city across the river (Marietta, OH). Having said that, however, allow me to say that the historic sections of P'burg where those Victorian beauties have been maintained really wow a wandering body.  My entire goal in stopping there was to capture some of the architectural elegance for later illustrations.

Sadly, though, I didn't catch much with my camera.  [Never fear, however, because I'm going back in a few weeks!]  Most days I bat about a .300 with the camera, but my average was way down that afternoon in P'burg.  Still, you can check out some of the local "color" from the block I circled while in town by clicking the photo below:




[And what was I doing the rest of the time I was there, you ask?  Well, part of it I hope will be in a future edition of This Old House; the other part of it will appear in future artwork in late October as part of my regular website.  Stay tuned!]

No comments:

Post a Comment